The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Student News Site of Sierra Vista High School

The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Mountain Lion Messenger

Honoring Black Excellence: Celebrating Black History Month

Christina Fakoya
(left to right) Ms.Hughes, Mr.Padilla, and Ms.Davis representing Howard University, Washington State, and Texas Southern University for HBCU/College Day.

Since 1976, every United States president officially designates the month of February to recognize and celebrate Black History. Black History Month recognizes the achievements and heritage of Black communities and individuals. Marking a time to infuse black history into school subjects for the students to learn in areas of history, literature, music, and art.

Black History Month varies in description depending on the person, the Black Student Union treasurer, Mylan Preston (12), talks about the significance of BHM to her, “Black History Month lets everyone know why we celebrate the month, the history behind it, and get to know our culture more. People wonder why we deserve our month, we’ve been through a lot so this month lets them know why.” Unlike the rest of the year February highlights and celebrates black culture specifically, making it a learning opportunity for all people.

Mr. Kenneth Brown, who teaches African-American Studies and the African-American experience at Sierra Vista High School, emphasizes the significance of Black History Month, “I guess the thing I want students to know the most about Black History Month is that the history itself is a subsection of American history. This is to say that there is no reason that any American should not be proud of these amazing achievements that ultimately benefit all Americans and not just Black folks. So many amazing people have contributed a thread to the fabric of our country and their names are woefully unknown. I hope I can continue to shine light upon their contributions and achievements so that people know and appreciate the work that they’ve done.” Black history is history for everyone and should be recognized by everyone. The past can not be erased but only remembered so that we can improve.

During Black History Month, Sierra Vista High School’s Black Student Union organized and created events to celebrate BHM. BSU is a club where students of all backgrounds can feel empowered, attend service events, and promote cultural awareness. The 200’s and 300’s halls were displayed with inspiring quotes, memorable black figures, and historical facts about black history. From February 5th – 9th,  BSU held a spirit week to start BHM, which included: Decades Day: (70-2000s hip hop attire), HBCU/College Day: (College Merch), Iconic Film Characters: (Favorite movie or TV show character), Culture Day: (Clothing from your culture), and Afro Colors: (Wear red, black, yellow, green, or purple). The spirit days allowed students and staff to show off aspects of black culture.

Ms. Suara showing off her traditional Yoruba attire for Culture day. (Christina Fakoya)

Celebrating Black History Month in schools is a commitment to promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion in education. By incorporating lessons, activities, and discussions centered around Black history and culture, educators empower students to become informed, empathetic, and socially responsible citizens.

(left to right) Ashley Kang (11), Evangeline Ibarra (12), and Mylan Preston (12), decked out in 2000’s Hip Hop attire for Decades Day. (Christina Fakoya)