The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Student News Site of Sierra Vista High School

The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Mountain Lion Messenger

Distributive Education Clubs of America Competitions 

February 5th, 2024 Sierra Vista DECA members after the first day of competitions at the Plant Hollywood Hotel.
Penelope Marquez

The Distributive Education Clubs of America at Sierra Vista High School attend this year’s State 

Career Development Conference competition that allowed students to demonstrate their ability in marketing and networking skills. Throughout the year, members developed a strong foundation of business and marketing knowledge to be ready for the State Career Development Conference, and their hard work has paid off. SCDC allowed DECA members to socialize with other schools across the district and participate in various community service activities. SCDC gave DECA members a realistic way of applying social and leadership skills in real-life situations. Out of seventy-two schools in the district, thirteen out of thirty-four of our members were acknowledged and awarded medals. 

DECA members were provided with, “boot camps” by their presidents to help prepare for the cluster exam, as well as extra practice on role-play scenarios. Role plays gave members first-hand experience in what to expect during their competition. On January 23, 2024, members took the official cluster exam demonstrating their knowledge of the different marketing skills they learned throughout the year. Students paid sixty dollars in advance to cover the cost of their hotel stay and other fees before they could attend the competition. Mathew Chen shared, “To prepare for DECA’s annual State Career Development Conference, I found previous years’ events online to practice with. I also made sure to learn marketing-related vocabulary, as they do play an important part in one’s performance evaluation.” The DECA president, Angela Ye

ensured every member was constantly preparing for this event, and it was highly suggested that all members attend competitions as they are the most exciting event of the year. SCDC took place at Planet Hollywood this February 5-7, 2024. Members of the club had the opportunity to stay at the hotel overnight with their fellow members and this provided a bonding experience for many. While competitions took place on February 6th, DECA administrators required students to follow a business attire dress code and come well-prepared for their group or solo competitions. Throughout the day, members received multiple opportunities to complete various community service projects by turning old t-shirts into dog toys and donating them to local shelters. DECA also provided different workshops set up for members to visit that informed them about different marketing aspects. The main competition for many revolved around the role plays that participants completed either individually or with a group. Role plays took place throughout the day as each member had a scheduled time to complete their role play. 

Out of the thirty-four members who attended the State Career Development Conference, thirteen members received recognition and medals for their hard work. Students who were awarded medals included Ka Yan Lui, Angelina Lieu, Kira Yeomans, Kiara Peters, Geraldine Paulo, Jackson Lieu, Mathew Chen, Allen Llano, Bryson Nance, Jade Hawkins, and Anthony Mahayosn. Angela Ye emerged as the only DECA member from Sierra Vista to achieve 1st place in her Business Solutions Project, while Haily Brown attained 2nd place in the Principles of Hospitality category. This opportunity allows the girls to participate in the International Career Development Conference (ICDC), currently being held in Anaheim, California. 

The advisor of Sierra Vista’s DECA club, Jason Christensen shares, “I like to see students challenge themselves to try new things. Taking that first step can be the hardest thing to do. I also

enjoy seeing members grow and improve their skills from one year to another.” The State Career Development Conference provided an opportunity for many members, several connected that they look forward to next year’s competition planning to hopefully win more medals. Mathew Chen shared “SCDC is more than just competing, and my favorite aspect of the trip was connecting with others. Whether it was with the state officer candidates or students within my chapter, the people make DECA fun!” Any students interested in joining can attend after school at 1:20 pm on Mondays in room #327.