Women’s Varisty Softball

The 2022-2023 Sierra Vista High School Varsity softball team pictures at our very own softball field. Photographed by Dorian Studios

Lyric LaFasto, staff reporter

As the only 5A team at Sierra Vista High School, the girl’s varsity softball team marches into the new season with their heads high. Our varsity softball team participated in a tournament hosted by Bishop Gorman called the “Bishop Gorman Kickoff” for four days, winning a game against Gorman. Their first official game of the school season was against Bishop Gorman in an away game on Tuesday, March 28, 2023. Although the girls lost their first game with a score of 1-3, they continue to strive and stay motivated.

The star seniors of the team include Charelle Aki, Victoria Johnson, Suryia Gonzalez, Kaley Peninger, and Brianna Mendez. Sadly, for these soon-to-be-graduates, the opening game of this year’s season was their last “first game” of a high school softball season. The final game of the season takes place on Senior Night, which will be an emotional occasion for the entire team. Many of the varsity athletes have known their teammates for years and share the same passion for softball, creating a bond that will help make a perfect team. Charelle Aki, the most recent D1 athlete on the team, explains her experience playing for Sierra Vista as one she will “never forget” and highlights the team’s strengths: “The team’s strengths are that we are able to keep the energy flowing. If we’re losing, we are able to keep the energy going and come back the way we were hoping to. Keeping the energy going is important because it keeps everyone in the game and it helps us fight back.”

Out of the twelve games in the season, the first home game takes place on Wednesday, April 5, against Palo Verde High School. Head coach Eugeine Felise and assistant coach Danielle Spaulding have been working with the girls five days a week at the school’s softball field. Both coaches have been coaching softball for more than fifteen years, but this is their first year at Sierra Vista. Coach Felise shares his thoughts on coaching. “I have a lot of passion in coaching and always love teaching the game of fastpitch softball.” Felise’s plans for the athletes this year are to play one game at a time, keep the energy flowing and compete at the highest level. Looking forward to a successful season with the girls, Coach Spaulding explains what she would like to see from the team. “Work hard and give your all. I just want them to play and get better. It’s so hard not to compare these days and I want them to put that out of their head and just play THEIR game. Who cares about the opponent, just PLAY THE GAME! We have a lot of talent on our team and we can beat anyone on any given day.”