2023 Baseball Season

Varsity baseball third baseman, James Starkus (12), steps up to bat during an intense home game against Spring Valley High School.

Gabriella Frey, staff reporter

On March 2, 2023 the Sierra Vista Varsity baseball team began their new season by participating in the (non-conference) Austin Chong Memorial Tournament at Desert Oasis High School. Baseball Coach, Jesse Medellin, expresses his confidence going into the new season, “I feel pretty good about our team this year and we hope to be able to stay in competition for the league championship.  We have eight seniors returning and a great group of talented underclassmen.  Our pitching will be our strong suit this season and with timely hitting, we should be successful.” Moreover, Senior Varsity pitcher, Chase Frey, shares, “I feel very confident going into this season.” Medellin explains, “Our senior group is a well-rounded group of players.  The team is led by our three captains Chase Frey, James Starkus, and Trevor Wallin.  These players have worked very hard in the off-season to lead the team this year.”

To prepare for the current season, each team took many steps in order to grow for the season at hand. Medellin shares, “the Varsity team has played many close games against top competition at the 5A level and we are just now starting to see the benefits of playing a tough non-conference schedule.” The Junior Varsity (JV) squad also sees these benefits as Medellin further explains, “the JV team is having a very successful season only losing a few games to some top 5A schools.” As a result of playing these 5A division schools each team has improved drastically and takes these new skills to the field for their league games such as Meadows High School which Varsity defeated with an overwhelming final score of 16-1.

As the current season progresses, Varsity and JV look forward to their goals for the future of the team. Frey reveals, “this season I would hopefully like to win a state championship.” With the season coming to an end, each team comes closer to achieving these goals. Medellin shares, “so far, we have an overall record of 8 and 11 and are currently 4 and 0 in League play.  We have 11 games left in the season with 6 of those being League games.”

The final game of the season will take place Friday, May 5 at 3:30 at Sierra Vista High School where Varsity will face Eldorado High School.