The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Student News Site of Sierra Vista High School

The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Mountain Lion Messenger

Breaking the Norm: Seniors of Sierra Vista High School

Embracing Out-of-State Colleges
Taylor Fesser
Haben Woldabyezgi shows off his acceptance letter to Livingstone College.

Traditionally, when it comes to pursuing higher education, students in Nevada look towards local institutions such as the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), College of Southern Nevada (CSN), Nevada State University (NSU), or the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR). However, as circumstances change, the graduating seniors of Sierra Vista High School deviate from the norm by opting for out-of-state colleges and universities.

Many students venture beyond state lines driven by a thirst for new experiences, diverse perspectives, and academic excellence that extends beyond local institutions. Seniors like Milica Runic looks to explore opportunities outside of what she always known by going to the University of Washington. Runic shares, “I wanted to challenge myself and experience a new environment, and I wanted to go somewhere that would push me outside of my comfort zone. I have always wanted to be a Nurse so I plan on majoring in biology. I wanted to go to the University of Washington for the majority of my life, and I was so excited when I got the letter in the mail.”

Emily Gomez shares, “I can not believe it. After all these years of hard work and sacrifice, I finally got accepted into my dream college, Cornell University. I plan on majoring in business. It is a surreal feeling, and I can not wait to see what the future holds for me.” 

Marissa Sanchez exclaims, “I never thought I would leave my hometown, but getting accepted into the University of San Diego has opened up a world of opportunities for me. I am going to be majoring in Theology. I am excited to embark on this new adventure and see what the future holds.”

Renowned institutions with specialized programs or research opportunities attract some students who cannot find them easily within their state. For instance, a student interested in Marine Biology may require assistance in locating universities that offer relevant programs.

Receiving an acceptance letter from Chicago State University, Aiden Hanik felt his dreams finally manifest, “I was filled with joy knowing my future was bright. My family was so happy and proud of me when they saw the acceptance letter. This was my dream school because of its prestige, and I have family in Chicago and always loved the city. I like challenges, and this school will push me to my limit as I study what interests me most. I plan on majoring in finance and minoring in business.”

Haben Woldabyezgi expresses, “I was accepted to Livingstone College. I was shocked because the school was a nice campus and did not think they would accept me. I plan on majoring in Psychology and pursuing a career in developmental therapy for the youth. I am incredibly nervous but excited at the responsibility of being my own person.”

Madison Bernard reveals, “I got accepted into the University of Florida, my dream school. I did not think I would have a chance since it is super hard to get into. My parents were super surprised that I got in. I do not think they expected me to have a chance. I plan on majoring in business and starting my own company.”

Jennifer Morras explains, “On December 15, I got accepted into The University of Oregon. I sobbed tears of joy, and my family was very proud of me. This was my dream school since Middle School and also the only school I applied for. Oregon is my dream school because I love its college team and how diverse they have become. I plan on majoring in Broadcasting Journalism and I want to work for the 49ers or Dodgers. I am excited about college it is a bittersweet feeling though leaving my Vista family behind I cannot wait to start a new journey.”

Jennifer Morras displays her acceptance letter from her dream school, University of Oregon. (Taylor Fesser)

Leaving Nevada signals a brave embrace of newness and an abrupt departure from the traditional in Nevada’s education system. It is an opportunity for many to broaden their horizons and network beyond their hometown. Students begin to recognize the value of living outside the state of Nevada.

While the emerging trend of leaving Nevada may seem disruptive, recognizing that the motives are not just about leaving but about exploring new opportunities and finding the right fit for each student. Sierra Vista High School’s senior class, opting out of state universities and colleges, breaks the norm and paves a new path for future generations to follow.