The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Student News Site of Sierra Vista High School

The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Mountain Lion Messenger

SVHS Mountain Lion and DOHS Diamond Backs Battle for the Bell

Arissa Garcia
In the middle of an intense match, the Mountain Lions huddle up to coordinate their next move.

In a thrilling match that had students roaring with excitement, on March 19, 2024, the long-standing rivalry between Sierra Vista High School and Desert Oasis High School reached new heights on the volleyball court. The annual rivalry game between the two schools took place on Sierra Vista mountain lion territory. Students from both schools filled the gym to witness the Mountain Lions and the Diamondbacks battle for the “Bell.”

From the first serve, the competitiveness was on. Sierra Vista, notorious for their deadly spikes and solid defense, faced off against Desert Oasis, a team renowned for their impenetrable blocks and energetic hustle. The gym burstwith energy as the score wavered between both teams, keeping the audience at the edge of their seats. After an electric first set to kick-start the night, DOHS took an early lead and won the first set (21-25), dominating with their strong hits and solid blocks.  

As the next set progressed, both teams showcased their exceptional skills and unwavering determination.  The rivalry between schools added an extra layer of intensity to every play, with players from both sides giving their all to secure victory for their team. In the second set, Vista took the lead (25-21) and maintained their streak in the third set (25-20), until DOHS secured the fourth set (21-25).

In a nail-biting final set, both teams fought for every point in a head-to-head match. Although DOHS passionately played until the last point, in the end, SVHS emerged victorious, closing the night on a winning note (15-12). As the final whistle blew, the gym erupted in a mix of cheers and applause.

Dominating the court with his blocks and spikes, Regi Beshiri #2 (10), outside hitter and team co-captain shares “I enjoy the fact that people can come watch me play and be entertained, which is what I try to do, let people have a good time.” Beshiri has also been awarded Player of the Match and holds the title #1 in state for kills and aces

An unstoppable force on the court, co-captain, Regi Beshiri #2 (11), dominates any game with his well-rounded skill and holds the title of #1 in State for kills and aces.

Winning each point with finesse and power, Percy Morris #7, outside hitter, also shares “I enjoy pretty much every aspect of volleyball, from how much teamwork is involved and also just how you build connections playing the sport.”

Percy Morris #7 (11) controls every point with his unbeatable defense and powerful offense, making him a force on the court. (Arissa Garcia)

Head coach, Raymond Maika, says “Before games, we work on hitting drills and rotations. We go full sixes on both sides as we’re working on our rotations. Lastly, we go over the scouting report and go through scenarios on how we expect to execute offensively and defensively. For big games like the Bell Game, we go through our normal routine and attack practices the same way we prepare for any other team. But myself and our coaches remind our student athletes during the week about bragging rights against our cross town rivals for a whole year. We plan on fixing a lot of self and mental errors that have caused us some of our losses this season. We’ll continue to stay competitive the rest of the way, especially during league play.”

In the world of volleyball, the thrill of a well-executed play, the camaraderie of a supportive team, and the satisfaction of victory are all part of the game. Although Sierra Vista High School won this years’ Bell Game, both teams will continue to work hard, whether it be to defend or steal next years’ winning title.