The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Student News Site of Sierra Vista High School

The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Mountain Lion Messenger

Homecoming Week

A Tale as Old as Time
Homecoming+Week

Sierra Vista High School students celebrate Homecoming Week between October 10th through the 14th, 2023. The theme “A Tale as Old as Time” swept both students and staff off their feet for the perfect start to a week of fun dress-up days, pep rallies, performances, and a winning football game; concluding with a spellbinding dance under the stars. 

Tuesday started off with “A Magical Morning” where all Mountain Lions strolled through the day in their pajamas and comfortable clothing.

Jacob Love (11) on Abraham-Daniel Rivera (11) wearing Perry the Platypus onesies for Pajama Day. (Amanial Ftwi)

Wednesday’s “Happiest Day at Vista” led students and staff to start the day off right in their fairytale and Disney gear. Leaving all with a joyous feeling throughout the day.

Happiest day hits Vista and mother-daughter duo, Heather Foglia, Government teacher, and Reagan Foglia, 11, dress in their happiest Disney gear. (Averi Coasta)

With “Looking in the Magic Mirror” on Thursday, Mountain Lions are decked out as their younger selves. 

Friday is filled with color as all students and staff are repping their class colors, “Over the Rainbow”. 

To wrap up the spirit week, Sierra Vista held its Homecoming assembly on Friday. The assembly featured a variety of performances which included Vista’s cheer team, Synergy Dance Team, and an original song by SV Beats. The “SVHS Staff Rocks Award” belt was passed on from Mr. Brown, the ROTC Chief Sargent, to Mr. Kenneth Brown, English Teacher, in recognition of his contributions as an educator at Sierra Vista High School. 

For Wednesday’s homecoming spirit day, “Happiest Day at Vista”, Sierra Vista administration members Ms. Hughes, Ms. Jacobsen, Ms. Fasce, Ms. Ventura, Ms. Galloway, and Mr. Padilla dressed as Disney characters (Ly)
The Sierra Vista High School Cheer Squad’s energy and passion are contagious, igniting a sense of pride and unity in their school. (Arissa Garcia)

On Friday evening, Vista’s football team kicked off the night with a game against Spring Valley High School in a competition for the title of “the real SV”. The lions roared in support of Vista covered in black clothing and accessories repping a Mountain Lion color. 

Vista’s Synergy closes out the homecoming game halftime performance on, October 13th, with an explosive show, leaving students excited for the second half. (Victoria Hines)

Saturday night finished off the week with the long-awaited HOCO dance. When the clock struck 10:00 Queen Melanie Rada, King Ray Solis (seniors), Princess Le’lah Bell and Prince Niko Montano (juniors) Dutchess Kenzie Gridge, Duke Gabriel Sabasino (sophomores), Lady Lauren Grobel and Lord Elias Ward (freshman) made their first appearance as the 2023 Royal Court.

An overhead view of the Sierra Vista Homecoming dance floor. (Nash Anderso)