The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Student News Site of Sierra Vista High School

The Mountain Lion Messenger

The Mountain Lion Messenger

Mountain Lions Win First Home Game

+The+Moutain+Lions+offense+lines+up+to+face+off+against+the+North+View+defense+with+hopes+to+advance+the+ball.
Victoria
The Moutain Lions offense lines up to face off against the North View defense with hopes to advance the ball.

On Friday, August 25, 2023, Sierra Vista’s first home game took place against North View High School of Covina, California. The game against North View ended 34-26 rewarding the Mountain Lions with a 1-0 record. The winning drive of the game took place in the last seconds of the game, on Vista’s 35-yard line, and the star senior and starting quarterback  Terrance Masnica threw a 65-yard touchdown pass to win the game.  

Throughout the game, the teams are matched.  At the end of the first quarter, Mountain Lions were up 14-7.  During the second quarter, neither of the teams scored, leaving the score at 14-7. 

At half time fans watched Sierra Vista Band and Color Guard perform their performance called “Beetlejuice”. Vista´s dance team, Synergy closed out the halftime performance. 

During the second half, both teams worked tirelessly to raise the score.  In the third quarter, North View scored a touchdown, tying the score.  The fourth quarter was a fight to the end, with Vista scoring 20 points and North View scoring 12, ending the game 34-26.  

This year’s focus is on the star seniors, Omari Evans #3, Tarrance “Church” Masnica #4, Cameron Mamon #8, and Genesis Ali #15. The new football coach, Zachary Carlson states, “We are asking a lot of our Seniors this year. We have a lot of players that were huge contributors last year, and we expect them to take great strides forward this year.” Carlson hopes the team will continue to dominate with the returning team members and the new players.

The football game on Friday, August 25th, demonstrates the promise that the Vista football program will only continue to grow this season along with the coaching staff.  Congratulations to the Mountain Lions on their win, and good luck to them for their next home game on Friday, September 29th, against Foothill. 

Vista and North View fight to raise the score on the scoreboard (Victoria )