Marching Band Conquers

Sofia Pizzo, Features Co-Section Leader

Despite being online last year, students and teachers agree that the hardest thing about doing marching band online was not being unable to march, but the lack of emotional connection between band members.

Melissa Bushee, the Band Director at Sierra Vista, said that teaching marching band online turned out to be significantly different, but not for the obvious reasons.

“The most challenging part of marching band during a lockdown is, ironically, not the marching part, but rather the emotional aspect.” said Bushee.

Bushee perfectly summed up how the students feel, when she said that playing together remains unlike anything else, and any student would say that an unmistakable bond between the students and teachers alike, takes place.

“If you ask any student to talk about marching band, they almost always speak about the family vibe and the indescribable feeling after a performance, knowing that for 10 straight minutes, 80 minds are in sync. It is a feeling that can not be replicated by anything else.” mentioned Bushee.

Although many students claim that, compared to in-person learning, online is the worst option, COVID-19 protocols presented some challenges for band students. However, Bushee said that the students do not want to go back to online learning, so they follow the protocols to the best of their ability.

Proving Bushee right, Thomas Owens, the Junior Drum Major in marching band, said that performing in-person creates an inimitable feeling and a “family like bond” between students. Like sports teams, clubs, and other group activities, a connection between members is vital. Owens claimed that online learning did not create that connection.

“Being with everyone in the band room or out on the football field practicing our marching band show is a lot different than sitting at home with a computer and trying to play a piece of music together… [In-person] We are able to actually interact with one another and there is a special family-like bond throughout the band program that just was not there over COVID.” explained Owens.

Although in-person marching band exists differently now, due to the new COVID protocols, Owens still said that it proves to be better than online learning because students can collaborate and socialize with each other. Bushee, Owens, band students and teachers can all agree that band continues to be special because of the connections and relationships that it helps students build. COVID protocols or not, in-person marching band remains to be the preferred option, for band students and teachers, when it comes to learning.