Vista’s Fright Night Starts a Tradition

Photo credit Isabelle Vongpanya

Dynasty performs at Fright Night

Joy Villanueva, Editor-in-Chief

Boo! This past October 27th, Sierra Vista High School’s music program hosted Fright Night, a rather spooky event filled with scares, candy, and Halloween-themed fun. 

Vista’s very own choir director, Jonathan Baltera, coordinated the event, along with help from others.

“This event was coordinated by myself, Ms. Bushee, the band teacher, and Ms. Ashley, the Dynasty coach.” stated Baltera. 

Students associated with the music program helped out with the haunted attractions that night.

“My attraction was the choir’s zombie walk-through, and I went as the tour guide,” said sophomore Izzy Robles, who is also in the Advanced Women’s Choir. 

“The attractions went smoothly, but we did have some rough spots throughout the night. Overall, our work was good and the money was good as well. All the zombies did amazing, and I would really like to thank them for their hard work.” continued Robles. 

The Theater department’s haunted attraction was a top-favorite amongst attendees.

“My favorite attraction was the haunted house Theater made. You can tell they put a lot of time and effort into putting everything together, and even their acting was great.” mentioned senior Chanel Sarol. 

Some clubs also assisted with the event, as they set up tables and hosted activities for Fright Night go-ers.

“We had a few groups set up tables: K-Pop, the Environmental Club, Best Buddies, the Video Game Club, and BSU,” explained Baltera.

“Band, Choir and Theater did haunted attractions and Dynasty handed out candy and had cookie decorating.” continued Baltera.

As the coordinators still wanted to keep COVID-19 in mind, protocols were in place to be as safe and cautious as possible for the event. 

“As for the Coronavirus, We recommended that our tourists wear masks. For our zombies, it wasn’t required, but some of them still chose to wear their mask,” noted Robles. 

“We wanted to be the safest we could with COVID-19 still going around, and I’m glad that it was successful.” continued Robles. 

Although the amount of attendees was lower than expected, the night was still full of enjoyment. 

“The kids really enjoyed themselves. It was smaller than we wanted it to be but that was probably because of COVID.” stated Baltera.

“Hopefully, more groups would like to participate once they see it was such a big success.” continued Baltera. 

With this being the first ever Fright Night, bumps were expected along the road. 

“I think things went rather smoothly. We learned a few things about how to run this event better for the future.” said Baltera.

As Fright Night was a huge success for the music program, the directors expect this to be an annual event for Vista students. Keep an eye out for this amazing event next Halloween!