Sierra Vista Welcomes New Principal, Jessica Lovell

Joy Villanueva, Editor-in-Chief

With all the changes made to the Sierra Vista High School’s 2021-2022 school year, a new principal was one of the biggest. Following up with this significant change, it’s time for Vista’s students to get to know Mrs. Jessica Lee Lovell.

Her road to becoming a principal was not only a bumpy one, but also very extensive.

“From a very young age, I always wanted to be a teacher. When I started teaching elementary school, it did not seem that it was the right fit for me so I decided to pursue a degree in counseling. I became a middle school counselor and loved the job,” explained Lovell.

“As a counselor, I began doing more ‘administrative’ work and was told I should pursue a degree in educational leadership so I went back to college (for the third time) and earned a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership. This led me to being a dean, Assistant Principal, and ultimately, Principal where I am today.” continued Lovell.

During this journey, Lovell taught at several schools along the way.

“I taught 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades at Lucille Rogers Elementary School. I was a counselor at Tarkanian Middle School; the Dean of Students at Sig Rogich Middle School; the Assistant Principal at Palo Verde High School; and now the Principal of SVHS.” stated Lovell.

As for her personal life, Lovell seems to enjoy the little things, especially her time with her dog, Dood.

“I enjoy horseback riding, I have one horse at my house. I also enjoy playing card and board games with my friends and family. And of course, spending time with Dood.” said Lovell.

Lovell’s decision to come to Vista was for the better.

“The opportunity to help Sierra Vista become a high achieving school. Sierra Vista is a lot like Palo Verde was before I got there,” explained Lovell.

“I have ideas and plans to bring on more opportunities for our students, thus leading to better future options for everyone.” continued Lovell.

Of course, changes have been made as the school year progressed.

“The biggest change I have had to make so far was moving to three lunches. Our student’s behavior is a big concern of mine and I will do everything I can to ensure everyone feels safe coming to school.” noted Lovell.

Lovell has a lot to bring to the table for Vista, and will do everything she can to make it happen.

“I would like to increase the number of CTE (Career and Technical Education Programs) we offer,” said Lovell.

“I would also like to increase our average ACT scores for juniors, allowing more opportunity for students to attend college. Last, I would like to increase the number of college credit courses we offer as it is a huge cost savings for families.” finished Lovell.