Imaginative Writing

Student Keana Ancheta shares her work-in-progress; a screenplay about a girl whose parents have both passed away.

Cole Crawford, staff reporter

With a plethora of elective options provided at Sierra Vista High School, some students may have a hard time choosing the right one for them. Among the diverse array of options available, Imaginative Writing stands out as a class that liberates students from the shackles of traditional essay writing. Free from restrictions, students get to explore a range of genres, including spoken word poetry, webcomics, short stories, and film screenwriting.

“Imaginative writing is a course that explores many forms, styles, and genres of writing,” explains Ms. Imbriani, the enthusiastic and knowledgeable teacher of this course. “Definitely fun for students with an active imagination, because they can be creative without limits.” Ms. Imbriani recommends it for students who are looking for a supportive and stress-free environment to build their confidence and hone their writing skills.

Despite the abundance of writing assignments in the course, student Keana Ancheta appreciates how the workload is broken up into manageable chunks. Ms. Imbriani confirms, “Students can expect a lot of writing (hence the name), but writing is chunked into smaller, manageable sections. Students do not engage in essay writing projects, only creative projects,” Keana Ancheta adds, “By having smaller chunks of work it allows me to apply more creativity to my projects.”

In addition to manageable writing chunks, the diverse range of genres explored in the class is highlighted by Ms. Imbriani, “Students learn to create spoken word poetry, webcomics, short stories from different points of view in the romance, action adventure, horror and drama genres, sketch comedy writing, epistolary narration, and film screenwriting.” With this diverse range of assignments, students like Mackyla Arce never know what to expect when they walk into the classroom. Mackyla Arce says, “It’s usually fun and hands-on,”  she adds, “which makes it a highlight of my week.”

In Imaginative Writing, students can expect to be challenged and inspired by the wide range of writing assignments and interactive activities that are designed to keep them engaged and motivated. Ms. Imbriani says, “I love to help students explore their own personalities and strengths, and to grow as people through writing.” By the end of the course, students will have gained the confidence and skills needed to write with flair and creativity, without the constraints of traditional essay writing.

Overall, Imaginative Writing is an excellent choice for students looking to improve their writing and explore their creativity in a supportive and fun environment. “This is a great elective for students who may be shy or like to keep to themselves,” Ms. Imbriani adds. “It can allow students a place to feel successful and build confidence, and everything we do in class is fun. This is an interactive class so students will always be walking into something new and different. If students are curious, they should ask others who have taken the class what they enjoyed about it.”