ACT Guide for Students

Julianna Hellam, Editor-in-Chief

On Tuesday, March 7th juniors across Clark County School District will take the ACT test. The test is not only a graduation requirement but also a gateway to college admission and scholarships. As the exam quickly approaches, many juniors are beginning to feel the stress associated with standardized testing. To prevent test anxiety, below are strategies to help increase the chances of receiving a satisfying score and decrease stress on test day. 

1) Finding a quiet place to study: Rather than studying at home where distractions can occur, studying at a local library will provide a calm setting for students to focus. The nearest library for Sierra Vista students is the Windmill Library, which provides reserved isolated study rooms. 

2) Watch the clock: Pacing during the test is crucial. When taking the ACT, remember that time is crucial so it is important to spend a limited amount of time on a single question. If the question seems too difficult, take an educated guess and move on. 3) Look for distractors: Eliminating obviously wrong choices enhances a person’s chance of picking the right answer. 

4) Practice practice practice: Asking teachers for practice exam packets to take home, allows students to become more familiar with the material, strengthening their comfort with the exam. 

5) Avoid last-minute cram sessions: Cramming knowledge that is meant to be learned over time is not an effective way to prepare, and will only lead to exhaustion and a lower test score.

6) Rest and relax: Getting plenty of sleep the night before and eating a nutritional breakfast will provide the human brain with the energy to focus. A common philosophy proves that receiving a good night’s rest and eating a protein-based breakfast before an exam increases the probability of passing. 

7) Be confident: Having a positive mindset will improve one’s chance at success. Doubting an answer and changing it may harm the possibility of a better score. Leaving negative energy behind and trusting oneself can and will lead to favoring results. 

Students who receive a composite score of at least 21 will ultimately be eligible for the Millenium Scholarship, and combining that with the Nevada Promise Scholarship will equal a free associate’s degree. The hard work will pay off, so study hard mountain lions.