Pushing Past Honors

Ms Lange, a counselor at Sierra Vista, says, “It's definitely a good idea to challenge yourself and try an AP course in high school but also important to know your limits and your facts ahead of time. We put information on our counseling website about both AP and Dual Enrollment courses so students can research the benefits of both ahead of time. … From there hopefully they will be able to make an educated decision as to whether AP courses are the appropriate level of course for them.”

Ms Lange, a counselor at Sierra Vista, says, “It’s definitely a good idea to challenge yourself and try an AP course in high school but also important to know your limits and your facts ahead of time. We put information on our counseling website about both AP and Dual Enrollment courses so students can research the benefits of both ahead of time. … From there hopefully they will be able to make an educated decision as to whether AP courses are the appropriate level of course for them.”

Nash Anderson, staff reporter

The arrival of the second semester brings about some tough choices for the best and brightest at Sierra Vista–to enroll in Advanced Placement, honors classes, or dual enrollment. Understanding the difference between the classes and pushing for success can save students thousands of dollars and dramatically improve their work ethic.

Honors classes offer students a chance to increase their  GPA by an extra .25 weight. Whereas, both AP and DE classes add an additional .50 and the chance to earn college credit.

AP and DE can save hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on the credits earned, bringing a substantial monetary benefit. Entering a Dual Enrollment class comes with a fee of 75 dollars (however some students may be eligible for a fee waiver), and similarly an AP exam costs 97 dollars; however Clark County has paid for all tests and hopes to continue this policy in the future. For example, the average price per undergraduate credit at University of Nevada Las Vegas is 256, so a three credit English 101 (AP DE credit transfer) saves 768. Given that full time students must take 12 credits per semester, the savings add up. 

Students also benefit from AP and DE courses because of their academic rigor. Both classes offer high school students the chance to experience “college level” rigor and material that best prepares them for college.

Ms. Smith, Assistant Principal over Curriculum and Instruction at Sierra Vista, advises that all students should consider taking AP or dual enrollment classes regardless of their future academic and career goals. “Sometimes people think that AP classes are only for kids who are trying to be valedictorian but the classes can be a great option for any student who wants to not only learn a specific topic in a rigorous way, but learn how to learn.” AP and dual enrollment classes emphasize an often disregarded aspect of education, actually learning. Taking a class that personally interests a student may provide more benefit than other options. As Ms. Smith said, an AP class can help a student “learn how to learn,” as the classes help build students’ work ethics, study habits, and ability to think critically.

Despite the benefits of AP and DE, many students opt out purely because they have a reputation of being too difficult or stressful. While everyone should consider AP classes, not everyone should take them, and students should know how much effort they will put into the class. An anonymous AP student says “[for most students], it’s best to take classes that are related to your interests and skills. Make sure the classes you pick match the future you want.” Sierra Vista High School offers a vast selection of AP and dual enrollment courses that give students plenty of options to choose classes that match their skills and interests.

An AP or DE class can save thousands of dollars and offer a chance to finish their undergraduate studies early while increasing their chances of admission to their dream college or university. Every student must ultimately make the right decision for themselves. For students that need additional assistance, they may reach out to Sierra Vista’s College and Career counselor, Ms. Rolen