Spooky Season

“Thessa Reynosso, a junior at Sierra Vista, celebrated Halloween with her sister Jeanelania and her friend Alex at Cougar Creek Park as they took photos and listened to Christmas music.”

Ella Reber, staff reporter

Blood curdling screams echoed in the minds of children and young adults during Halloween. In Las Vegas, Nevada, haunted houses offered a thrilling experience for visitors, frightening those who dared to enter. Dressing up as someone from horrifying nightmares exhilarated those who celebrated Halloween. Sierra Vista High School students made plans to capture memories with their friends and family by attending the local pumpkin patch, trick-or-treating, as well as consuming enormous amounts of sugar, which made Halloween 2022 a night to remember. 

Rhodes Ranch hosted a wide variety of trick-or-treaters this year including junior, Tatianna Artis. Artis spent her Halloween night with her friends going door to door, trying to get as much free candy as possible. Artis shared, “I dressed up as a skeleton because it is a cute and 

simple costume. I went with my friends Annett, who also dressed up as a skeleton, Dayonna, who went as Stitch, and Lola, who dressed up as the Joker.” This Halloween year thrived as villains, Disney characters, and spooky skeletons roamed neighborhoods. “I saw a group of elementary schoolers go as the Avengers, a family as the Flintstones, Witches, Ghouls, and the Minions, I also saw people in enormous inflatable dinosaur costumes,” said Artis. 

The night continued at Rhodes Ranch with Maalik Herbert, a sophomore who spent his night going through the neighborhood. Herbert said, “I went trick-or-treating at Rhodes Ranch in the largest neighborhood because I could get King sized candy bars from the houses. I also went with my friend Jayden who dressed up as an inflatable cow, and I dressed up as a Lifeguard.” Herbert described his Halloween saying, “My Halloween was fun and exciting because a lot of the events were haunted houses and that I got to hang out with my friend.”

Jaiden Cowart, a freshman at Sierra Vista High School spent his Halloween night going door to door trick-or-treating. “I trick-or-treated in Rhodes Ranch with my friends Gabe, Braydin, and Evan.” Cowart dressed up for Halloween, saying, “I dressed up in all black and wore a clown mask.” Cowart also mentioned, “Halloween was fun because I got to chill with my friends.” Ethan Maness, a senior, stated the following about his Halloween night. “I went and got candy in my neighborhood.” 

During the fall, students who met the age requirement also had the opportunity to work at carnivals located throughout the Las Vegas Valley. Valentino Al-Abbas, a junior, worked at a local pumpkin patch. “I would have preferred being with my friends and family, but working with families ended up being an experience I learned a lot from,” he mentioned. Talking about the hours, he continued,“The pumpkin patch became really busy during the middle and end of October, it was stressful on busy days but the staff got the job done.” “My Halloween experience was entertaining, I worked that day but the staff dressed up and had a little staff party which was super fun. I dressed up as Michael Myers, which helped make my Halloween night great.” Not everyone celebrates Halloween with friends and family, however, this did not deter Al-Abbas from having a good time with his co-workers and the families who attended the pumpkin patch. 

Throughout the spooky season for 2022, Sierra Vista students enjoyed a successful Halloween as they made memories with friends and family, and created friendships with coworkers. Most of the student body celebrated Halloween night with trick-or-treating, which led to an eventful night for most students at Sierra Vista.