An Evening in Hollywood

Taylor Fesser, staff reporter

Without a doubt, Homecoming Dance appears to be a student’s favorite part of the school year. The Homecoming Dance allows students to dress up, bond with friends, and dance with that special someone. This year’s Homecoming took place on October 8, 2022, with the theme was “An Evening in Hollywood.” Student Council went “all out” to recreate a spectacular atmosphere reminiscent of “Old Hollywood” by hanging lights throughout the Quad, designing a Hollywood background for pictures, placing custom light fixtures on tables, and providing free Crumble Cookies, Raising Cane’s, and sparkling cider. 

At the entrance, a red carpet waited for students to strut on. When students arrived they saw a Hollywood backdrop, which offered a key place for that perfect picture.A 360 camera run by Lonna Hughes, cheerleading coach, received the most attention from students. The 360 camera gave a memorable way to frame Homecoming night. The traditional photo booth offered a classic way to capture silly pictures with friends. The four DJ’S at homecoming enjoyed choosing the music and drew students to the dance floor.

Becoming Homecoming King and Queen, a dream for many students came true for the winners of Homecoming Court. At the assembly, Student Council announced the winners of the Homecoming court. Students chose Freshman Sophia Patterson and Leo the lion as Lord and Lady, Sophomore Kent Ball and Mia Wallace as Duke and Duchess, Junior Habeniom Woldabyezgi and Jayla Collins as Prince and Princess, and Seniors Joshua Arceo and Kaitlyn Savella as Homecoming King and Queen.

Habeniom Woldabyezgi shares his experience on winning Homecoming Prince, “My experience was one of a kind! It is crazy to think that people actually went out their way to vote for me without me even thinking of the idea of me running for homecoming price, you know? It was so much fun during the halftime at the homecoming game and when they announced our names during the dance. It is definitely something I am not going to forget.”

Christian Rebolledo, a sophomore, shares, “I had a great time at homecoming. Being a part of student council, I not only got to see the dance being put up and play a major role in that, but I also got to experience it in real time. The decorations were great this year and the music was much better this time around since they included more latin artists, my personal favorites. Catering was good and overall I loved hanging out with my friends in such a well-developed dance!”

Freshman Laneya Collmar shares her opinion on a special night in Hollywood, “I had a great time. A lot of the dancing, the screaming, and the drinks were amazing.” 

Jennifer Morras, a junior, expresses her opinion about homecoming being a success, “Yes, I do think homecoming was a success. We had an amazing turnout. Our theme and the decor was put together really well, our Dj’s did an amazing job getting everyone on the dance floor and overall I feel like it turned out to be an amazing night.”

Senior Carson Baxter shares his experience at homecoming, “Yes, I had fun at Homecoming. It was super hype and the energy was good. It brought a lot of people together”

Mr Gibson expresses his opinion, “The dance itself, typically you get a lot of complaints on music or different things or what am I paying for, for a dance. But for having a full dinner, really high quality snacks like Crumble Cookies and a little bar for non-alcoholic drinks, and massive decorations and reusing the backdrop and reusing all of the balloons and expanding our lighting sight up and our music setup. It really gave a full experience to the students versus just having a dance at the school. Another big focus on what we did for the last two years on dances was to have the back gate part of the decor instead of an eye sore and that takes a lot of time and effort. Overall, Homecoming was a huge success.”

Homecoming is a night to remember for students. A way to unwind and have an enjoyable time with friends, after all the stress from the end of the quarter.