Career and Technical Education Spotlight

Authomation Technologies

Taylor Fesser, staff reporter

Automation Technology consists of being a CTE program ( Career and Technical Education). Sierra Vista offers students many opportunities for electives. Automation Technology consists of being a CTE program. The program introduces students to Automation principles while working alongside Robotic, Electrical, and Programmable Systems and apply it to real-life industries. When students graduate and want to join the workforce, the real-life certifications that students have learned will become useful. 

Automation Technology provides the ability to gain students SACA Certification (Smart Automation Certification Alliance). This certification focuses on the operations of Robotic systems that apply to standard industry jobs. Not only does being SACA certified look outstanding on resumes, but it also provides an advantage during job interviews as it shows students a complex understanding of automated equipment and processes.

Automation Technology allows students to learn life skills that will help them with future jobs involving advanced manufacturing, electrical, pneumatics, and programming. This course consists of project-based learning, so students can  continuously advance in  critical-thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills.

Freshman Christopher Ortega shares, “I would join again next year to excel my learning and there is a program for Tesla. Currently, we are learning about the different types of Automation  and different ways to use Automation in business.” Joshua Rogers-Fesser, freshman, expresses, “Automation is a great way to make new friends and career choices. Career choices that I would like to go in too are Automatic Engineer and  Mechanical Engineer.”

Broc Christensen, the automation teacher, shares, “My first year at SVHS (2018-2019), I taught Chemistry and Geoscience. The following year, the robotics teacher was leaving so I took over as the Robotics teacher. I have always been passionate about physics and engineering and wanted to share my passion with students. Tesla provided a grant to remodel the shop and provide equipment to start our Automation Technology program. With their partnership, we are able to offer this exciting class and provide amazing opportunities for students. Teaching Automation Technology is exciting and interesting and I love seeing students engaged.”

Sophomore Jacqueline Grote explains, “Automation Technology is an outstanding program at Sierra Vista High School. During this course, I have expanded and improved my leadership, teamwork, and critical-thinking skills. Our advisor, Mr. Christensen, assigns projects based on what his students would find in “real life” manufacturing jobs. In Automation Technology II/III, we have been working hard learning about Automation industries; specifically Robotic, Electrical, and Programmable systems. This knowledge will be assessed at the end of the year, in which we are tested to become SACA Certified (Smart Automation Certification Alliance). This certification is a wonderful opportunity as putting it on resumes will show great understanding of automation and manufacturing, which puts you at a higher stance than other applicants. We have recently been doing tours of our workshop, and allowing the SV Staff and student body to visit and get a better understanding of what we do as a way to promote and showcase our program. Surprisingly, many of our staff do not know what we do so we are so grateful to have the opportunity to share with them and allow them to get a better understanding of what we do in Automation Technology. I am so grateful to be involved in such a distinguished and academic program run by an amazing teacher, and we cannot wait to see where our students go and what they do with the knowledge they have learned.”

Opal Gibbens, a Junior, expresses, “I am not sure what career I want to do, but definitely a S.T.E.M career. I like using critical thinking and collaboration skills required for most stem fields. Automation allows me to become an active leader, perform tasks and solve problems which are useful for any career”.

Senior Tanner Stanley shares, “Something I have really enjoyed about Automation Technology is that it has given me the opportunity to explore a possible career path that I had in mind. I was thinking about becoming an Engineer, but was not sure yet, and taking this class helped me decide if that kind of career was right for me. After some thought, I have decided that I do not have a desire to go into a career in Automation. I am glad I took this class however, because it has shown me what the job entails.”

Automation Technology consists of being an amazing CTE class located in the 500’s hall that students should join. Students learn valuable life skills, even if students do not want to go into the field. If students show interest  in Automation,  students can register and email Mr Christensen for more information.