All About the Zen Den

Gisselle Talavera, staff reporter

Between the demands of school, sports, and “life in general” students sometimes feel quite overwhelmed. Oftentimes, a safe and comfortable place to relax and feel supported is necessary. Here at Sierra Vista, there is no place better for that than the Zen Den, to provide a sanctuary for stressed out students.

Located in room 304, the Zen Den is full of not only comfortable couches, cool neon signs, extra school supplies, and more, but also offers a healthy support system. The Zen Den is managed by Ms. Karim and Ms. Segal who provide support to students in whatever way students need.

The Zen Den was initially created by the Black Student Union (BSU) and Mrs. Morales, supported by the principal and SSO office. The Zen Den was put into place towards the end of last school year.

The Zen Den aims to help students feel comfortable and safe. To make the students’ mental health the top priority, Ms. Karim and Ms. Segal offer support and advice, discussing topics such as relationship issues, sharing communication tips, and helping with resources for substance abuse.

Ms. Segal handles the social emotional learning curriculum, designed to enlighten students to become more self aware and how to make better decisions. Ms. Karim shares one-on-one time with students, to provide emotional support and advice.

Students may stop by the Zen Den during lunch; however, in order for a student to go during class, they need to meet with their counselors first. If additional support is needed, a referral will be sent to Ms. Karim.

“Many of our students come here to talk about what they are currently going through and struggling with. Crisis is defined by how a student perceives a situation, not how a staff member sees it, it is different for everyone,” Ms. Karim states.

The Zen Den mission statement states:  “The Zen Den is an effective way to provide students with opportunities to focus on developing healthy coping mechanisms and connecting with a trusted adult and providing mental health resources. The room is a quiet instructional learning center that supports our students’ mental health and well being in order for them to make educational progress.”

The Zen Den offers a nurturing environment for students to feel safe and comfortable. Whenever a student is feeling overwhelmed or in need of some advice during the school day, the Zen Den is there with open doors.