Sun Rises on Class of 2023

Shining like the morning sun adorned with their crowns, the class of 2023 enjoyed their first senior event of the year, Senior Sunrise.

This highly anticipated event arrived as student life begins to resemble normalcy. The class of 2023 endured half of their high school lives isolated, limiting their overall high school experiences. For some, assimilating back into social life was difficult. Despite obstacles, seniors thoroughly enjoyed the pride and first of many perks associated with being the leading lions.

Senior Ashyln Matthews shares, “It felt good to socialize with all my friends, I even met a few new people. We asked other people for pictures and took pictures for them in return.”

The event took place on Tuesday August 23rd at 6 a.m. Seniors showed up as early as 5:30,  showing off their crowns designed to their liking and spirit that uplifted the mood. 

Senior volleyball athlete Teanna Sodaria comments about the preparation for the event “My teammates and I got together the weekend before Senior Sunrise to make our crowns. It took us multiple tries to feel satisfied, but we got it done.”

Overall, the event let seniors unwind and enjoy time together before the demands of senior year begin. Music from SV Beats and various snacks supplied by student council were provided throughout the morning, as well as, the new senior shirts that seniors can still purchase at the banker’s office for $15.

Senior Anna Zona shares,“It was such a fun experience seeing all our peers at the event. It’s crazy how time flies and how fast we all grow.”  

After the sun completely rose, the class of 2023 organized themselves into the shape of a “23” to take their class photo. The process of creating the picture may be the only downside of this year’s Senior Sunrise. Although challenging and taking multiple tries (trying to maneuver over a 100 seniors into the right position) combined with the heat of the morning Vegas sun, laughing and music continued eroding any frustration. 

Senior Khayra Valdiva reflects on the morning heat “It was really hot outside, and the class picture did not help. I believe it came out nicely though as I could see part of the three from the twenty three forming.”

Dynasty dancer Veronica Ventura recalls her concern about potentially missing the early morning activities “I was worried about being late and not getting in on time although the lines were organized in two and people who had bought their ticket beforehand were able to get in smoothly.”

(Left to right) Jena Dalisay, and Kaitlyn Sevilla, Veronica Ventura, and Angel

The start up of senior events like Senior Sunrise also signals the sorrowful part of being a senior as they get closer to graduation.

Volleyball athlete Imany Gilmore reveals “I honestly felt sad at the beginning of the sunrise because it felt like my high school days were coming to end but once the music started playing and everyone was getting up laughing, eating, and taking pictures I forgot about any sadness and just enjoyed the moment.” 

The class of 2023’s Senior Sunrise was a success and stimulated Sierra Vista’s senior spirit for upcoming senior events. Seniors can expect Senior Sunset on May 12, 2023 and on a closer note the Herff Jones Senior Achievement Seminar on September 20th and 21st as well as the senior panorama picture on November 18th.