Getting in the Spirit

Julianna Hellam, Editor-in-Chief

In welcoming back students,  Sierra Vista’s student council organized a spirit week on August 15th-August 19th to get everyone fired up for this upcoming school year. The theme was “Cities Around the World”, inspired by the diversity of Vista’s student body.  

According to senior student council member, Lourdes Fuentes, “Student council was able to create dress up days that correlated with our ongoing theme of around the world, and it was exciting to see our creative minds take place.” On Monday, August 15th, students went with West Coast vibes and dressed up as either a surfer, hiker, or hippie. Keeping it calm and relaxed in representing the West Coast, sophomores Irina Jecova and Christian Rebolledo were one of many who participated in dressing as California surfers.

Freshman Hannah Reed shows some West Coast vibes.

In feathers and glitter, Rio Carnival Tuesday went with vibrant festival clothes spotted throughout the day. 

“When organizing our spirit week I felt an immense amount of joy.” continued Fuentes. 

As Vista entered Wednesday through a green warp pipe, Nintendo Day allowed students to dress as their favorite video game character. Many students cosplayed as Mario and Luigi or wore mushroom hats from the well known video game, Super Mario Bros.

Ms. Imbriani and Mrs. Noll channel their inner Mario Bros.

Thursday was dedicated to Olympics day, encouraging students to wear sports gear. 

Before ending the exciting week, Vista Lions went all out wearing their blue and gold Vista gear. During all three lunches, Dynasty performed to prepare students for the first game of the season later that evening. The day ended in a 6-1 victory for Vista’s varsity home football game against Legacy High School.

Student Council cheering in the bleachers during Vista’s home game

“Seeing others participating is a good feeling for myself and student council.” expressed Fuentes. 

A grand thank you to student council for coordinating a fun-loving week and making sure everything went smoothly.  

“Don’t worry about what other people think about you.” claimed junior Haben Woldabyezgi, as a form of encouragement for more students to participate in Vista’s next spirit week, which is expected to be October 3rd-October 7th for homecoming.