Teacher Spotlight

Ms. Gianna Ibriani liked being part of the Vista community, her students and the staff showed a positive attitude. She taught high school students for the last ten years, so nothing is new for her. “Shout out to my students for making me laugh everyday!”

Kimberly Arellano, staff reporter

Say hello to some of the Sierra Vista’s teachers! Being surrounded by teachers since kindergarten made an impact in every student’s life, not only teaching academic skills, but also improving their self-esteem. Teachers became almost a second parent for most of their students.

In a follow up with new Biology teacher, Ms. Jacqueline Theriault, “Joining the staff here was as expected; I needed to get to know everyone, and more importantly, make sure many of my colleagues knew me as well. I knew Dr. Anzalone, as he was my principal when I worked at Eldorado High School before coming to Vista. I love it here,” said Theriault.

“I have only subbed at Elementary level, and knew it wasn’t really what I wanted to teach. My favorite by far are high school students.” continued Theriault.

Ms. Theriault’s mom always wanted her to be a teacher, making her choose that profession. Ms Theriault is passionate about teaching Biology Science, her favorite subject is AP Environmental Science class, she loves teaching about how to help sustain Earth and its resources.

Moving on, English and Imaginative Writing teacher, Ms. Gianna Imbriani, shares what she feels being a teacher at Vista, “After two years at Vista, I really like being a part of the Vista community. The students and the staff are really friendly and everyone has a positive attitude,”

Imbriani further adds “I have taught high school for the last ten years, so this isn’t anything new to me. I have wanted to be a teacher my whole life. There really was never even a question.”

Ms. Imbriani taught middle school a long time ago but likes teaching high school better.

“Shout out to my students for making me laugh everyday!” said Imbriani.

Ms. Kimberly Hahn knew that she wanted to be a teacher her entire life. Ms. Hahn teaches business classes and a teacher at Vista for 21 years now. “I remember when 9/11 happened. My sister worked just six blocks from the Twin Towers. I was frantic. No one in my family could get a hold of her to be sure she was ok because the NYC phone lines were down. We were so new to the school year but somehow the principal and assistant principal knew I had a sister in NYC. They came to my room to check on me before school. They said they knew I had a sister in NYC and said they would cover my classes if I needed to leave. That’s when I knew I was in the right place,” said Hahn.

Ms. Hahn leaves a motivational quote for her students, “Enjoy life and be kind! We only get one chance. Write a journal about the fun things you do. Keep ticket stubs and note who you were with. You can’t believe how much you will forget as you get older. Throughout your life, treat money with the utmost respect. Spend and save wisely. If you do, it won’t fail you.” continued Hahn.

Learning a foreign language helps students to appreciate the history and experiences of the language they are learning. Spanish teacher, Sr. Andreas Sparkuhl said, “My first year at Vista was exciting. The administration and my department made me feel very welcomed,”

“Teaching high school is fun. I like how I can have deeper conversations with my students. I teach Spanish and I love it. Thanks to my students who keep the class moving, who make us all laugh, and to those with a passion for learning languages!” Sparkuhl adds.

Teaching high school students for the first time might be hard for some teachers, but Ms. Camie Noll thinks differently, “My first year at Vista has gone even better than I could have imagined. I have the best coworkers and students and it has been a very fun year. This was my first year of teaching high school. I have to say that I enjoy high school much more. There is a different energy with all of the events and activities, and older students seem to get my jokes better,”

Teaching is Ms. Noll’s second career, she volunteered to subbed a class and she loved being surrounded by students. “To my students, you are my first classes at the high school level, and will always have a special place in my heart! Please pop in and say hi.” said Noll.

Giving respect and appreciating teachers gives a wonderful connection between the teacher and student. Every student should learn how to appreciate the teachers as the teachers do everything to give knowledge and make learning fun.